HAP Job Posting
Job Title: Social Worker (Full-time)
Job Location: Philadelphia, PA
Job Type: Non-Profit Legal Services
The Homeless Advocacy Project (HAP) exists to meet the legal and advocacy needs of homeless individuals and families in Philadelphia. With a legal staff of 10 and a corps of 350 volunteer lawyers, paralegals, and law students, HAP engages in direct outreach to homeless individuals in need of legal services.
The Homeless Advocacy Project (HAP) is seeking a passionate social worker who brings social justice values in line with our own. HAP provides free civil legal assistance to vulnerable adults, youth and children experiencing or at risk of homelessness in Philadelphia; a social worker on staff, providing sorely needed support to our clients, will mean an increase in the efficacy of our mission to reduce the frequency and duration of homelessness in Philadelphia through holistic legal representation and advocacy.
The social worker will primarily provide support to clients without case management supports already in place. The social worker will partner with HAP’s legal staff representing clients through HAP’s Veterans Benefits and SOAR (SSI) Projects. They will provide support before, during and after the benefit claims process in order to bolster the impact of HAP’s legal assistance by reducing the rates of recidivism, relapse, and decompensation among our clientele. Essential job duties are expected to include:
- Providing help accessing emergency services including emergency housing (shelter), crisis counseling, food stability, a reliable mailing address, clothing, toiletries, and other essential services such as showers and laundry;
- Providing benefit advocacy to secure medical insurance, SNAP (food stamps), and Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) cash benefits;
- Assisting with independent living essentials including identification, free telephone service, and medically necessary transportation service;
- Connecting individuals with medical and behavioral health care and substance-abuse treatment;
- Assisting individuals in getting into disability benefit pay status by obtaining essential documents, attending SSA interviews, and accessing representative payees;
- Providing housing advocacy by exploring housing options, completing housing applications, and assisting with access to security deposits and furniture vouchers;
- Connecting individuals with long-term behavioral health targeted case management services; and
- Collaborating with HAP legal staff to create evaluation tool and conduct outcome assessments within 6 and 12 months of case closing.
- Masters in Social Work (MSW) and a minimum of two (2) years of experience
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal, client interviewing and organizational skills
- Independent and self-motivated
- Experience working with marginalized and diverse populations in Philadelphia
Direct Supervisor: Managing Attorney
Please send your cover letter, résumé and salary requirement to: Tanya L. Rambert, Director of Operations, email@example.com; HAP, 1429 Walnut St., 15th Floor, Philadelphia, PA 19102. No Phone Calls, Recruiters, or Drop-ins Please.