HAP Job Postings (1)
Job Title: Staff Attorney (Full-time)
Job Location: Philadelphia, PA
Job Type: Legal – Civil
The Homeless Advocacy Project (HAP) exists to meet the legal and advocacy needs of homeless individuals and families in Philadelphia. With a legal staff of 8 and a corps of 350 volunteer lawyers, paralegals, and law students, HAP engages in direct outreach to homeless individuals in need of legal services.
Job Functions, Essential Duties, and Responsibilities:
- Represent homeless clients in civil legal matters, with an emphasis on Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and VA benefit cases.
- Administer general legal clinics at area homeless shelters.
- Supervise, assist, and support volunteers handling civil legal matters for homeless clients.
- Serve as HAP resource on issues of poverty law for HAP volunteers.
- Implement substantive and ethical training programs, including CLE classes for volunteer advocates.
- Maintain updated forms and samples to assist volunteers.
- Supervise case tracking and maintenance of the legal database.
- Organize and conduct educational presentations for shelter staff and residents.
- Create education materials about timely legal issues for distribution at clinics.
- Assist with training and supervision of summer clerks and clinical students.
- Provide advice to call-in and walk-in clients.
Advocacy and Committee Work:
Analyze federal, state, and local policy initiatives and legislation affecting homelessness.
- Participate in various committee meetings of the Philadelphia Bar Association and other community coalitions to address issues impacting HAP clients.
- Work with staff and Board of Directors to determine how and when to respond to such issues.
- Participate in litigation that serves HAP’s mission and goals as approved by the Board.
- Assist in the work of the Standards & Monitoring Committee of the HAP Board.
Support the Overall Operation and Management of HAP:
- Collaborate with staff and Board to develop and implement strategic plans.
- Speak at law schools, bar functions, other community events about HAP’s work and volunteer opportunities.
- Juris Doctor Degree from an ABA-accredited University and licensed to practice law in PA.
- Demonstrated interest in public interest law and experience working with low-income populations.
- High level of analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to independently maintain own caseload and provide assistance to volunteers.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and work with minimal supervision.
- Understanding of and sensitivity to issues of low-income and homeless communities.
- Experience working on behalf of vulnerable populations.
- Spanish speaking a plus.
Please send your cover letter and résumé to: Tanya L. Rambert, Director of Operations, email@example.com; HAP, 1429 Walnut St., 15th Floor, Philadelphia, PA 19102.
No Phone Calls, Recruiters, or Drop-ins Please.
HAP is an Equal Opportunity Employer.